My mom’s recipe for cheese balls is a holiday tradition in our family. She’d make several batches every year and give them out with a box of crackers to friends and family. I made one batch this past Christmas and forgot to take pictures until we’d started devouring it.
It’s very simple and tasty. The recipe is easy and you can take them to parties and tailgate events. I’ve lightened it by using low fat cheese products but feel free to use mom’s original full fat version. 🙂
- 2 eight oz bars of reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 pound reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small minced onion (I use deydrated onion)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (option: celery flakes)
- garlic powder, to taste
- dash tobasco
- Walnuts, chopped
- Blend all ingredients together.
- Form into 2-3 balls depending on the size desired.
- Roll in the nuts to coat the outside.
- Refrigerate at least two days for flavor to meld.
- Serve with crackers.