This article was originally published at Two Savvy Sisters which is no longer active.
When Purina One asked if I would like to participate in the 28 Day Challenge with my cats, Buster and Annabelle, I was intrigued by the prospect of seeing the visible signs of health after switching their food. They sent me coupons to get the Purina One SMARTblend of my choice and get started on the challenge.
Meeting Buster & Annabelle
Let me introduce you to the feline members of my family. We adopted both of them from shelters about 10 years apart.
This is Buster who is 11 years old. He was only six weeks old when we adopted him and was always a very friendly cat. He loves to sleep with us; really on top of us.
As a senior cat, we’ve noticed he’s slowed down a bit the last year or so. He doesn’t jump as high as he used to and really thinks about it before leaping to the top of the cat throne. Weight, or shall I say too much of it, has been a problem for him the last 2-3 years and he’s been put on lower calorie food.
Annabelle is our pretty Calico lady who we adopted about a year ago. She was nine months old when we got her. I don’t know where she was in her early life but we noticed two things about her that were different.
First, she could never seem to get enough food. She would come running every time we were in the kitchen and eat every morsel of food we gave her. Secondly, she was very skittish about people. We’ve gone on two week vacations and the person who takes care of them at our home never sees her! She has come out of her shell for the most part and slowed down on her eating but it has left her with a bit of a weight problem as well.
Starting the 28 Day Challenge
To start the 28 day challenge I signed up at the Purina One website. It was a quick easy process and they have a cool journal to keep track of your cat’s progress. We then went to the store and selected the dry formula that was best for our two. The options are:
- Chicken & Turkey Flavor: Formulated with real chicken as the #1 ingredient, blended with other high-quality protein sources, to help support strong muscles, including a healthy heart.
- Hairball Formula: Made with a natural fiber blend that helps minimize hairballs.
- Healthy Metabolism: Created with real turkey and L-Carnitine to help spayed or neutered cats maintain a healthy weight.
- Indoor Advantage: Developed to help minimize hairballs and maintain a healthy weight.
- Salmon & Tuna Flavor: Includes real salmon as the #1 ingredient, blended with other high-quality protein sources, to help support strong muscles, including a healthy heart.
- Sensitive Systems: Developed to nourish sensitive skin and promote easy digestion.
We selected the Healthy Metabolism formula. One of the recommendations on the Purina One site is to gradually switch over the food from what your cat currently eats to the new formula which my husband did over the course of a week. They didn’t skip a beat and really like it.
I’ll update you on their status next week, but until then you can learn more about the Purina One at the following places:
Do you have cats and do they have any dietary challenges?
Disclosure: I received product for review purposes. No other compensation was provided. All opinions expressed are 100% mine.